Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Africa...


I was planning to have a political incorrect /funny/ first title, but after being here
for more then a week it would not be funny any more...

Africa indeed is different.

The trip down south was already a bit special - The check in Lady in Vienna told us: I can not check you in because you don't have a Visa.
Thank God it turned out that the Malawi Embassy, the Austrian Ministry for Foreign Affair and the international check in system is wrong - you can get a Visa on arrival - even as Austrian.

Our local friends then picked us up from the airport and immediately took us to the lake.
Since then we visited the city, went to a village, saw dancing, went hiking in the north and are close to buying a car.
So everything is fine, and we are slowly getting into the African way of life.

BTW Internet is slow - not the "I can't download music!" kind of slow but "I am falling asleep while I am opening a page" kind of slow. So until we figured out a way...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey a sign of life! yuppie! :-) funny this whole visa story, so you worried for nothing and Yva's nonchalant approach paid out :-) I would have liked to see how you convinced the nice lady at the check in in Vienna! it's such a pity we could not meet up anymore in on your way trough. your "local friends"...I guess that's Barbara and Roberto?:-) give them a big hug from me!
Enjoy!
until the next slow internet connection...
Hug
Haleh

Anonymous said...

Hello my Dears!

Great to finally have a sign from you! I totally agree with Haleh I would have loved to see the two of you at the check in counter, Yva lazing about at the counter explaining to the lady how it actually is :)

Hope that your local friends are doing fine! Give them a big kiss from me!

Be careful when driving in Africa country.. I know but please just promise to be careful!

Miss you guys big kisses and LOADS of love!!
Jenny

P.S. So far nothing important has arrived in the post :)

Anonymous said...

Finally a sign from you!!! Great to hear some news. Can't wait to hear more about Malawi, your local friends :-)and your preparations for the rest of the trip.
I did spend some time on travel blogs in Africa after the Sofia weekend and read some amazing things about Malawi, Kenya, Tanzania...(also checking necessary safety precautions, you know me...) So take care, and use a seat belt!
I am happy I will be able to follow your trip from here.
Many many hugs to you and to Barbara and Roberto!
Cecilia

lex said...

hi leute,

na endlich ein lebenszeichen - hab mir schon sorgen gemacht! SMS nicht angekommen - ok - war ev. doch etwas zu optimistisch...
If you really buy a car - I want 2 see a picture in the blog with you 2 sitting on the hood or so.. :-) !

keep on exploring and enjoy every day!!!

greetings to africa - u know why..
lex